small stories studio

" In contemplation of created things, by steps we may ascend to Heaven."



Friday, January 23, 2009

Another collection




Along with stone angel photos another of my collecting passions is old photos and memorabilia from Niagara Falls. Since my first visit as a kid, Niagara Falls is one of my most favorites places in the world. I have made many visits since and nothing thrills me more than standing in front of the Falls and being mesmerized by the strength and beauty of them. Of course riding in the Maid of the Mist and going down that scary elevator to reach the bottom walking decks remain my favorite things to do there. As a kid i collected all kinds of souvenirs from my trips but recently i have become enamored of collecting photos and souvenirs from the 1800's and early 1900's. I love the way the Falls look in sepia tones and people back then were just as thrilled to get their photos taken by the Falls or in the studios against the fake backdrops. I love every day being able to look at the photos and imagine the roar of the crashing water and the feeling of mist on my face.

4 comments:

Theresa said...

Yes... Niagara Falls is a very beautiful place and I love your old photos of it too. :)

Lori said...

what a wonderful collection Cheryl...every time i have been to Niagara Falls it has been raining and very cold...sounds like you had a better time there...

Kim said...

Cheryl , I wanted to welcome you to the land of blog and say 'hello!' I love the name you chose , btw - it's perfect!

RosesRadishesandRubbish said...

Cheryl....love this. You have the most interesting collections. Now I can see how you evolved into what you are doing now as opposed to when you started out. How neat!:) Can't wait to see more!:) So glad you started your blog. It is so nice to be "in TOuch" HUGS, AMY