small stories studio

" In contemplation of created things, by steps we may ascend to Heaven."



Wednesday, October 6, 2010

In Memory of...

Robert Clayton 1930 -2010
Growing up my brothers, sister and I had a dad in our early childhood, but he was one that was physically there when it was convenvient for him and was for the most part not emotionally there when he was present. But that was okay, because we were surrounded by uncles, 1 uncle in particular that was there whenever we needed him, and we had the most important and constant man in our lives, our grandpa Robert Clayton.

He attended all of our sporting and school activities and made sure we had a fun childhood by making sure we got to go places like Cedar Point and swimming at a local swim park. We had lots of family cook-outs and get togethers. There was never a question of us going without because my granparents were there to help my single mother if she ever needed it,( she did an awesome job though all by herself, we could have not asked for a better mom.)

By watching our grandparents marriage we learned what it meant to be a good husband and especially how a good father acted.

My brothers are the amazing fathers they are today, not because of the example set by our father but by following the example set by our grandpa. Now their children will have the experience of having a true father in lives because of him. What a wonderful legacy to leave all the generations that follow and that is the thing I am most grateful to him for. So I would like to say thank-you grandpa for being an inspiration to us all and you will be dearly missed by everyone that was lucky enough to have had you in their lives.

12 comments:

Sweet Old Vintage said...

Lovely post...

Sea Witch said...

What a lovely tribute to your beloved grandfather. His legacy lives on through you, your brothers and now the children. Sea Witch

Outofmymind said...

How great for you to have such a great example. My father was a creep so I too looked up to my mothers parents and especially my grandpa. He was like grandpa Walton, fun, loving but with that teasing twinkle in his eye. Make sure to continue your memories to your children of your great family influences. Enjoy your memories!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful person to have forever in your heart and always in your memories.
Very special picture of a great cowboy! Isn't it just the best to be able to see him so sweet.

Romeo said...

Wow! What an incredible (verbal) portrait of your grandfather. Thank you so much for sharing, as it reminds me of my grandfathers, both of whom I loved dearly. I am sorry for your loss, but I know that he will live forever in your heart and as a part of your life.

"her" and Romeo

lindaharre said...

Oh Cheryl......I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Your post encourages me to be a better grandma, knowing that it really makes a difference in a child's life! Thank you for sharing this and the inspiration it brings. You and your family are in my prayers!!!!! hugs, L.

Amy in CA said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Cheryl. The photo and your lovely words are such a sweet tribute to him! Here's to the good men in our lives!

Amy

Rustique Gal said...

Cheryl, you are so lucky to have a Grandpa like this. What a great influence he was to you all. Some people are So important to us that they will remain with us in our hearts forever.
Hugs,
Sherry

north pal said...

Bless your grandfather. He truly was a grand father. blessings to and all your family. Here's to the memories.Bestest,Denise

Life Goes On said...

What a wonderful picture and sharing of your love of him. Thank you for sharing. Memories are what live with us.

Debora said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debora said...

Amazing post!
Debora