small stories studio

" In contemplation of created things, by steps we may ascend to Heaven."



Monday, August 24, 2009

"Weird women"

My hubby, son and I went to the local flea market on Sat. where I came across a booth that had a box of such wonderful "junk". Of course I started salivating as soon as I spied it and immediately grabbed it up. The man selling it said "Let me guess, you are buying all this junk for art" and of course I said yes. He then went on to say " I don't get what kind of art you can create with this junk but thank goodness for weird women like you that buy it".

Now most people would be affended by being labeled as weird but I don't mind being called weird as long as I know I am part of a community of creative women who can turn this so called junk in to art!!!

11 comments:

Tina said...

Isn´t that a great compliment to be called weird - I think so and your finds are faboluos.
Have a lovely day.

Anonymous said...

Wonderfully weird!!! I am glad that he thought to put the "junk" out there! I love what you create with it.

Lori said...

men say the craziest things...i'm sure there was a compliment in there somewhere...and little does he know you are surly going to make something wonderful with your new goodies!!!

RosesRadishesandRubbish said...

When I grow up I want to be just like you Cheryl, so I guess that makes me weird too!! AND that's OK with me!! What about all the guys that saved every piece of junk for the last 50 years? Isn't that weird too?? (Although, those are my kind of guys!! LOL) I am really excited about your new pieces! Wish I could come to Columbus.:( lotsa hugs, Amy xo

The Creative Bohemian said...

Maybe you should brinhg a sample of your "weird" art the next time you go to that flea market so that you can educate the poor man. LOL.

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

How wonderful to be weird! I love it! How glorious to be us! Have fun!
:) Laura

Caterina Giglio said...

great art bits you bought! It is lovely to be in such weird and wonderful company!!

Lenae May said...

EEEEK...I love this stuff! I once went to an estate sale of a life long antique dealer...yeh...you can ONLY imagine! The basement was fulll of this stuff...it was magical!
Lenae

. said...

You should carry some pictures of your work with you...that way he might "get it". Great finds !!

Attic Rat said...

Hmmm. . . I don't see ANY junk here - just wonderful treasures. Some men just don't get it. Fortunately, my husband is coming around.

Great big smiles,
Teresa

hens teeth said...

Oh few of them get it but there again I don't get cricket!
Really enjoyed reading your posts...found you via Amy.